Target People: Male, female, adolescent boys & girls, children of Sattola slum dwellers, Mohakhali, Dhaka.
Brief Description of the Project:
Name of Lead Organization: Society for People’s Action in Change & Equity (SPACE)
Name of Consortium Organization: Shobujer Ovijan Foundation (SOF) & Kabir Enterprise (KE)
Objectives of the Project:
- To reduce illegal water line connection & increasing govt. revenue;
- Supply adequate water among the slum dwellers;
- Reduce diarrheal disease from drinking polluted water & lack of sanitation;
- Illegal vendors have been reduced & water point customer had got legal water point & committed to pay revenue to the government;
- Awareness raising, enhancing knowledge & capacity building for practicing hygiene promotion.
Major Activities, Target & Achievement:
|Sl. No||Name of Activity||Project Target||Achievement|
|1.||Project launching meeting with CBO, local leaders & ward councilor;||5||5|
|3.||Customer list collection & finalization||230||230|
|4.||Taken approval from the Dhaka WASA of customer list;||230||230|
|5.||Online application for meter purchase & connection permission;||230||230|
|6.||Conduction Basic Training to CBO on Operation & Management||71||65|
|7.||Caretaker Training on Water Infrastructure Operation & Maintenance||230||230|
|8.||Training on Water Safety Plan (WSP)||1200||1125|
|9.||Conduction of Hygiene Promotion Session||1344||1157|
|10.||Observation of International Women’s Day & World Water day.||2||2|
- Construction materials caring road was narrow
- Heavy rainfall;
- Construction materials could not caring for main road cutting during construction period;
- Local muscleman;
- Community level conducting hygiene promotion session sitting arrangement was narrow;
- Central server problem of WASA for connection permission.
Overcoming the Challenges:
- Communicated with DNCC for road construction;
- communicate with CBO & local leaders for solving the problem about local muscleman;
- More labor involved to complete the construction works during the period.
- Construction works should be started in the winter season;
- Project duration should be extended
The project has successfully accomplished its water supply facilities at above mention slum areas. At the same things the lot has ensured different types of capacity building training and awareness activity among CBO & LIC inhabitants. They are committed to provide water bill regularly to DWASA. CBO leaders are committed to collect water bill & deposit to the Dhaka WASA accounts.